First and foremost, Hike It Florida is a family: a diverse group of people dedicated to one another and the clients we have served for over the years. Our ultimate focus is to provide life changing experiences through the dynamic adventure of wilderness expeditions.
At Hike It Florida, our mission—changing people's lives through exceptional travel—compels us to make a positive impact in the lives of our clients, our communities, and ourselves.
Our core values keep us focused on that mission and inform every choice that we make:
I - INTEGRITY guides our work and the relationships on which our work and success hinge
M - Travel is MAGIC and we hold the wand. Dazzle and delight. Be tireless in the search for places and experiences that will take a traveler's breath away.
P - PASSION for travel is the reason why we're here. Let that blast through loud and clear—in your thoughts, your words, and most importantly, your actions.
A - ACTION is where it happens. Take personal pride in diligent follow-through, timely execution, and expert delivery—our hallmarks of excellence.
C - CONNECTION enlivens us as human beings and makes our work meaningful. Truly connect with your clients and peers, our providers and industry, and of course, the world around us, near and far.
T - Know what is TRUE for Hike It Florida, find what is true for you, and make possible what is true for others.
Hike It Florida is looking for motivated, outgoing individuals that enjoys the outdoors and enjoys teaching others about the outdoors. Our adventures occur all over Florida and around the US. We specialize in hiking, camping, backpacking, Appalachian Trail guided hikes, Leave No Trace principals, classes, on a year around schedule.
Lead Camp Counselors oversee the daily operation of all camp-related activities within the Camp which is for children between the ages of 5 and 11. They act as the first-line supervisor of camp staff and participants. The Camps runs during Winter Break, Spring Break and Summer Break.
- Create and supervise camper activities daily and create weekly group rotation schedules with input from the Camp Counselors.
- Manage camper groups, making camper safety and enjoyment a top priority.
- Help Camp Counselors to provide a safe and supportive atmosphere for campers
- Provide conflict resolution among campers.
- Develop and oversee activities and games.
- Ensure that camper activities are ready for the campers as they rotate to each area.
- Supervise camper field trips and activities, always being sure that camper health and emergency contact sheets are at hand in case of emergency.
- Respond appropriately to camper incidents.
- Attend all required meetings and trainings.
- Supervise Camp Counselors and escalate any problems to management immediately.
- Act as a positive role model for campers and Camp Counselors.
- Maintain accurate records of camper incidents, illness and injury.
- Manage conflict resolution strategies.
- Supervise camper check-in/check-out procedures and keep precise records.
- Perform other duties as assigned by a Supervisor or designee.
- Hike It Florida is a drug, alcohol and tobacco free organization. Violation of the drug, alcohol and tobacco policies is cause for immediate termination.
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Successfully complete State of Florida Criminal History Background Check requirements
- Be in good physical condition
- Never have been convicted of child abuse, or any other crime in which the victim was a child
- Minimum of 18 years of age prior to the start of camp.
- At least two years of experience supervising children in a summer camp, educational, recreational or day care environment is preferred.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Knowledge of age-appropriate activities and games for youth.
- Must be able to create daily and weekly camp activity schedules and then supervise the schedule once it is developed; flexibility to adjust as needed to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the campers.
- Ability to project enthusiasm towards camp participants, keeping children engaged and encouraging them to take part in all games and activities.
- Must be safety conscious and able to remain alert for extended periods of time.
- Comfortable dealing with children daily.
- Must have a friendly customer service attitude.
- Willingness to be outside all day.
- Creative thinking.
- Willingness to follow the directions of the Supervisor, Recreation Facilities or designee.
- Ability to respond courteously, tactfully and effectively to the participants in the program and to parents.
- Holds or the ability to successfully complete CPR and First Aid Certification training.
- Able to maintain confidentiality
- Previous wilderness outdoor experience is beneficial, but not required.
- Can function professionally under stressful situations.
- Willingness to put in long hours.
- Willing to forego personal rights for the common good of Hike It Florida and its participants.
- Willing to work outdoors in an outdoor environment.
- Has a driver’s license and a good driving record.
- Competitive pay
- Ability to gain valuable training, skills and experience in many of the following areas:
- Group management
- Event coordinating
- Trip Planning